CITY OF IONE
COUNCIL MEMBER MISCONDUCT
REASON FOR REVIEW
The Grand Jury received a citizen's complaint against an Ione
City Council member. The complaint alleges the official is
responsible for the:
Creation of a hostile work environment
- Defamation of character
- Conflicts of interest
- Actions against the public trust
- Inappropriately using his elected position
A former Ione City employee requested the investigation of
possible irregularities by a City Council member. The concerns
include treatment of several past city employees, a city business
owner, and development companies.
- City Council members
- City Administrator
- City Legal Counsel
- City Building Inspector
- Former City Administrator
- Former city employees
- A land developer
- A city business owner
- Sutter Creek Building Inspector
Ione Municipal Code
- California Government Code, Section 3204
- Amador County 1997-1998 Grand Jury Report
- City Council Liaison Assignment list
- Building complaints and inspections on local business
- Council members' correspondence to former employees
- Correspondence from Fair Political Practices Commission
- California Form 700, Investments, Income, and Assets of
Business Entities/Trusts, submitted by the Council member
Section 2.10.220, Council-Administrator Relations, Ione
Municipal Code states in part, "...neither the city council nor
any member thereof shall give orders to any subordinates of the
- California Government Code, Section 3204, prohibits any
elected official from using the position of their office to
influence or discourage an individual employee's action.
- The conflict of interest allegation was unverifiable.
- The action against the public trust allegation was
- The inappropriate use of an elected position allegation
- The Building Department fails to properly document
- Several council members are unaware of the rules and
regulations contained in the Ione Municipal Code.
- A council member violated California Government Code,
Section 3204, and the Ione Municipal Code, Section 2.10.220.
The council member violated Section 2.10.220, Ione Municipal
Code, utilizing both verbal abuse and a letter writing campaign
in an attempt to discredit and impugn both the quality of work
performed and the character of City employees.
- The council member violated California Government Code,
Section 3204, by using his office to harass and discipline
- City Council members have a general lack of knowledge of
the Ione Municipal Code.
- Because the Building Inspection Department does not
maintain proper complaint files, follow-up and corrective action
may be impaired.
City Council members adhere to Ione Municipal Code, Section
2.10.220, or face censure by the Council.
- All City Council members adhere to the contents of the
Ione Municipal Code.
- The City Administrator review the Ione Municipal Code
and California Government Code and ensure provisions are
- The Building Department be more diligent in documenting
and filing all verbal and written complaints.
- Should further violations of the California Government
Code or Ione Municipal Code occur, the violations should be
referred to the District Attorney for review.
Table of Contents